The Theme of the 69th annual fair this year is:
Celebrating the History of BC 4-H and Family Farming
The annual fair is soon upon us…
Here is a little trivia about the Alberni District Fall Fair:
• The Alberni District Fall Fair traces back 69 years when the Alberni Farmers Institute first approached the Kinsmen Club of Alberni to host the fair, as all the all able bodied men involved with the institute were off to war.
• The Fair Board is made up of 6 Kinsmen and the rest are comprised of interested community citizens. They meet on a year round basis to plan for this 4 day event. The mandate of the fair board is to build an annual event for the community, all proceeds from the fair go into building the following year’s event.
• The Alberni District Fall Fair are proud members of the BC Association of Agriculture Fairs and Exhibitions, the Canadian Association of Fairs and Exhibitions, the International Association of Fairs and Exhibitions and the Alberni Valley Chamber of Commerce.
• There are approximately 85 volunteers of all ages that volunteer yearly at the fair. That is not including the many local organizations that help out the fair with various areas as a fundraiser for their organization.
• 10 years ago we began our Partnership Program, so we could recognize all of our sponsors. Take a look at all the signage on the fair grounds and partnership lists posted, if not for these sponsors stepping forward we wouldn’t be able to offer all the attractions each year for you all to enjoy.
• Logger Sports has been a tradition for over 30 years on the Sunday of fair, unfortunately we won’t be having the Climbing Events as our poles were compromised in a recent lightning storm, but we will be putting on some extra special events that day.
• West Coast Amusements midway has been coming to our fair for over 50 years. We have been offering pre sales on wristbands for the last 5 years. This year is no exception; they are available at all Port Alberni 7-11 Stores and Tseshaht Market for just $32.00 until September 2nd.
New and returning attractions this year:
• The Thursday Night Admission: this year we are partnering with the Salvation Army to help kick off a food bank campaign. Bring a non perusable item for the first hour and get in free of charge. After that there will be a $2.00 admission charge for everyone over the age of 6 years. Gates open at 5pm, so we hope you support this initiative.
• The raffle this year is a $30,000. voucher for a new vehicle from Alberni Toyota or Alberni Chrysler plus a $5,000. Plus an added extra package courtesy of the Alberni Group, this consists of an extended warranty package, a 2 year service maintenance package and a protection package. What a deal, you can either buy a new vehicle within that price range or put the voucher towards a higher end vehicle. There are only 9175 tickets available. Ticket prices are 1 for $10.00 or 3 for $25.00. The Kinsmen will be selling tickets at this year’s Salmon Festival and we will be set up at the fair for all 4 days selling these tickets. The draw will be Sunday September 7th at 5pm on the fair grounds.
• We always have fantastic exhibits at the fair, have you thought of exhibiting your projects? We take entries right up until entry deadline Tuesday September 2nd. For hobbies, sewing, arts, photography, beer and wine bring you r items and register between 1pm and 8pm at the fairgrounds. For home baking, flowers and vegetables the deadline is Wednesday September 3rd to register and bring your items.
• Zucchini Races… yes fill out the forms on line and bring those decorated zucchini‘s to the grounds on Saturday September 6th. We will inform all contestants of the time. We have built a super race track, so it will be lots of fun for all ages.
• The Amazing Race is back again this year, with the help of West Coast Slam we always spring lots of interesting challenges to the ten teams of youth’s ranging in ages from 12 to 18 years. This event happens on the fairgrounds Friday September 5th at 6pm.
• The Home & Business Show will be chalked full of vendors, lots of these vendors are coming for the first time.
• The Tractor Pulls are back, the Alberni Valley tractor Club oversees this event, and they plan to have not only the pulls but thrashing demonstrations as well.
• The Skateboard Demonstrations are always a big hit, and this year we are putting them on the main stage deck, they have various shows both Friday and Saturday.
• The parade is Saturday September 6th beginning at 11am sharp from the corner of 10th Avenue and Burde Street and goes towards Hollywood Street, come out and enjoy the parade.
• As we are celebrating the history of 4-H and Family Farming, be sure to check out the barns full of 4-H kids and their livestock projects, and our Farmers Feed Family’s display building. This was a popular spot last year, situated right next door to Old Macdonald’s.
• Live entertainment is happening on two stages; check out the schedule on the website. Thursday Feature Entertainment on the Community Stage is Tim Neufeld and the Glory Boys and Saturday evening on the Main stage we have Doug and the Slugs. Dan the One Man Band is back by popular demand. He is always a great crowd pleaser.
See you at the Fair